Friday, July 14, 2006

Of Melodies Pure and True

Congrats to Sarah Carlson for naming "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" by Travis as the Friday Song of the Day and to James Watson Kizer for naming "White Shadows" by Coldplay as the Saturday Song of the Day.

Another week gone, another week closer to what is next. I realize that last week I did not share some of my thoughts that I recorded during the week on trail and I would like to do that in this post. In the next post, I'll continue with my thoughts from this week...

7/5/06 11:57 a.m.--As I sit here during Solo time, I am amazed at how quickly the summer has gone by. It seems like yesterday I was pulling away from 203 Gatewood with the truck packed for a journey to Colorado. Now as I camp in the shadow of Casco Peak, the bloom of the rose for the summer has worn off but I am still amazed by how much God has to teach me each day. Each week on Trek is a different experience and this week has been another affirmation of that fact. This is Christ Church's first Trek experience and I have been thankful this week for the opportunity to experience this ministry with a group of wide-eyed first timers. At times their fervor borders on the annoying side, but it is a welcome surrounding at this point in the summer. May God continue to provide me with what I need this summer and not necessarily what I want.

7/5/06 5:30 p.m.--Today has been full of the worst weather that I have encountered on trail so far this summer. As the clouds move down Echo Canyon, they hang to the top of Bull Hill in an eerie image. These days remind me of how thankful I am for the days filled with sunshine. I finished Annapurna by Maurice Herzog this morning and it strikes me that no matter how much I don't want to get out of my sleeping bag tomorrow morning at 4:15, my environment is not more taxing than what Herzog, Lachenal, Terray, and the others of their expedition faced in the Himalayas. Father, tomorrow morning wake me with your joy for the day and for what you have to show us tomorrow. Grant us the strength to make it as far as you want us to tomorrow. May you be glorified in everything tomorrow. Amen.

7/6/06 6:31 p.m.--My week with Christ Church has been one of the most interesting that I have had so far this summer. Despite the fact that so many things seem to have gone wrong for them during this journey they have remained resilient until the end. One of my favorite quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson states, "That which is behind us and that is which before us are nothing compared to that which is within us." So much of life is about the attitude that we bring into the various situations that we encounter. One of the most rewarding parts of this ministry is seeing the personal growth and transformationthat takes place during a week on Trek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home