Saturday, February 4, 2006

I Feel My Luck Could Change

Maybe it's the same experience that some people have when they are trying to pick out shoes or clothes, but when I am in a bookstore, I constantly look from shelf to shelf and everything looks good. Well, maybe except the discount self-help section, but I digress.

Tonight, Lance, Jake and I were discussing the difference between the people who are big fans of Seinfeld and those who love Friends. It is not as if there is some sort of statute mandating that fandom of either one of the shows be a mutually exclusive endeavor but you do not find many people who cross that boundary. Those of you out there who know me are familar with the disturbing ability that I have for fitting bizarre Seinfeld quotes and references into everyday conversation, but Lance and Jake said that they fall firmly into the Friends camp. I'm not sure if there really is a great divide between the two shows but it's starting to look that way.

It's funny how on some days, I want to write about these incredibly deep things that have broad and sweeping cultural significance. Those are the days when I really want my words to a source of inspiration to those who read what I have to say, but those days don't happen all the time. Sometimes, all I can think to write about are those little stories that make up our lives and that is probably a healthy thing to do. Even though it might not be the kind of subject matter that will place me in the running for the Pulitzer, it has some odd way of connecting with the people who mean the most to me.

Who am I to get in the way of that?

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends stinks, Seinfeld is great high-brow humor.

I'm just kidding. I seriously have to agree that most people aren't huge fans of both Seinfeld and Friends. Great observation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home