Tuesday, January 10, 2006

You're Never Gonna Die, You're Gonna Make It If You Try

Congratulations to Mr. Cody Blair for correctly naming "Chariot" by Gavin DeGraw as yesterday's song of the day.

Last night I finished God Is Closer Than You Think by John Ortberg. Towards the end of the book Ortberg focuses in on a topic that I think have missed at certain times in my life. The promise of Jesus is not just that we would have eternal life once we pass from this life to the next, but that eternal life can start right now. In fact, eternal life is not simply a question of length but of quality. When Christ broke through the barrier that separates us from heaven, he sought to bring a small piece of heaven to earth.

What does that mean for those of us who have accepted God's gift? For one thing it doesn't mean that we have to wait to experience eternal life. We can live in a different way right here and right now because of our promise. Our job is to bring heaven to earth. To make things down here work like they do "up there". Whenever I view my eternal life as something that will only take place once I leave this earth, I cheapen what God has promised me in some way. Go out and live today differently because of your eternal life.

I enjoy being home and spending time with my family simply relaxing and gearing up for the semester, but I cannot wait for the next semester. I cannot wait to see how God is going to show up in the most surprising places and through the most surprising people because that is part of the joy of life. Seeing how events as goofy as Sing Song become vehicles towards community. Learning how acts of service become avenues through which we can impart the love of Christ is some small way. This is the adventure of life and I am glad to be on the journey.

2 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

Scotty -- Good to see the pic of you, Agan and Griffith living it up. Seems like yesterday I was calling you "Sibling E." What are you guys doing for Sing Song this year?

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Weck,

Since this is Sing Song's 50th Year, each group is choosing a theme from their past. We decided to go with a theme from 1975 which was "Tale of the Frog." In Jeff McCain we Trust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home