Friday, December 23, 2005

Fighting on Arrival, Fighting for Survival

Congratulations to Mr. Mason Orr for correctly naming "I Hope Tomorrow is Like Today" by Guster as the song of the day yesterday. Welcome to the summit Mr. Orr. I hope you enjoy the view.

After finishing David Halberstam's October 1964 last week, I began David James Duncan's The Brothers K on Monday. When I begin reading a book, I almost always know someone else that has read it or I probably know too much about the book before I begin reading, but The Brothers K is an exception. During my aforementioned book shopping-spree that occurred after I sold back my text books, I saw Duncan's book sitting on the bookshelf of the campus store.

Perhaps, I was drawn in by the title, due to its obvious attempt to connect with Dostoevsky's masterpiece. I'm not sure if that was my main motivating factor in purchasing the book, but if it was, I am very thankful for it. I have begun to notice that much of my reading falls into a non-fiction vein, but the enjoyment that I have gained from reading The Brothers K might just be enough to draw my interest back to the realm of fiction from time to time.

The main thrust of the book deals with the history of a family as they are affected by the landmark changes of the 1960's. As four brothers choose to deal with those changes in different ways, the family must work to decide whether their differences will be enough to tear them apart or whether that mysterious quality that bonds families together will ultimatlely keep them together.

Despite the fact that I did not experience the 60's, I have no doubt that their aftershocks continue to effect the world that we live in. Duncan's work accomplishes what writing is capable of when done well. It transports us to realm where our personal experience and understanding is enhanced without ever seeing that life with our own eyes.

2 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Blogger Heath Huston said...

"Buffalo Soldier" by Mr. Bob Marley

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

http://coloroflaw.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home