Monday, June 6, 2005

I Will Try and Fix You

Recently I wrote about U2 in this space, but today I would like to look at the band that many are calling the heir apparent to the boys from Dublin as the world's largest band.

Coldplay's 3rd Album "X and Y" was released today everywhere except for the U.S. and Canada, where it will be released tomorrow. I still remember the first time that I heard "Yellow" on the radio back in 2000. From the first notes crashing out of Jonny Buckland's guitar to the haunting falsetto of Chris Martin, I knew that I was hearing the beginning of something very big. I have always believed that Coldplay, along with U2, was making the music from my generation that would stand the test of time. I will not be surprised to one day find my children listening to "Clocks" or "Everything's Not Lost."

Among the myriad of articles about the release of "X and Y" I particularly enjoyed this article from MTV talking about the band, with a special focus on frontman Chris Martin.

Question of the day: How would our lives be different if we lived out the idea from the following quote by Nelson Mandela?

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us. We ask ourselves, whom am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home