Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Now You Crave Recognition but the Keys to the City Went Missin'

For those of you who read the comment on yesterday's post, you noticed that there is no an extra treat on my Blog. Yes, that's right folks, Coleman Greer Griffith will be posting his thoughts and ideas free of charge in the comment section of my blog each day. Cole is currently throwing his hat, or should I say mitre, in the ring for the honor of succeeding Pope Benedict XIV in the papacy. I think everyone will thoroughly enjoy Cole's musings, and if you don't, I take no responsibility for them whatsoever.

Current Listening: "Before These Crowded Streets"--Dave Matthews Band

At the SA Retreat during my sophomore year, Randy Harris came and spoke to us about learning how to deal with the inherent highs and lows that exist in holding office in a democratic system. He titled his message "How to Deal with Jerks without getting Jerked Around." The point that I have always remembered from that talk was the idea that the more that you know who you are, the less that people's criticisms and attacks bother you.

I don't think he was trying to advocate a stubborn adherence to ideas that are obviously incorrect simply to hold yourself in high regard, but he did seem to advocate the position that once you learn that your personal worth and identity is not tied up in your ideas and accomplishments, the more at peace you will be if people try to attack those ideas and accomplishments.

Why do I write about this? I know that there will never be this self-actualizing level where I am completely at peace with whatever people say about me, but by placing myself in a vulnerable position by running for office, I think I have learned to look inside myself, decide what I truly believe in, and feel secure in my self and my positions. This journey towards an understanding of self will never be truly complete, but it is always nice to see progress.

8 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what was said. When that point is reached is an amazing feeling too. I believe it is the ONLY way you can be in the position you are in today and be successful.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Day 2 of Cole Griff's blog:

currently listening to: a clock tick back and forth

Bible verse of the day: Leviticus 8:10

My thoughts will never be as profound as Scotty-J's thoughts. If you people don't think that I'm taking this once in a life-time opportunity to have my own blog serious, then may i quote one of my favorite song lyrics by saying "You've got another thing coming". Time is rushed today, so I'm gonna leave everyone with this one quote to ponder on.

"Never drive a hummer to church." -Damien Parker

God bless, and smile at someone awkwardly today.

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Justin Scott is Hot!

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your mysterious nature lights a passion within me

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Cole I am part Italian, so I hear things, and I know things. What I know is this - your name has been coming up around the Vatican lately, usually with some high-fives and secret handshakes. Just so you know.

Justin I liked your cheapening of God's youth quote.

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey-

May God bless you in all that you encounter.

Pope Coleman Greer

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Update!

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please update Justin.. I miss reading about the politics and insights that inspire me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home