Friday, May 13, 2005

But the Wind Went and Pulled Me Into Your Hurricane

Yesterday in my Maymester class on leadership we read historical perspectives on leadership from writers such as Tolstoy, Plato, Aristotle, and Machiavelli, but the writers who intrigued me the most were the two writers from Eastern backgrounds, Lao-Tzu and Ghandi. I have never read anything on Ghandi before, but his writing was incredibly powerful. I will probably devote my post tomorrow to writing on Ghandi and Lao-Tzu, but today the internship I will have this summer is on my mind.

One of the greatest parts of my internship so far has been the opportunity to spend time with Colonel Jim Holemans. After Mr. Holemans retired from the U.S. Air Force, he was hired by ACU as Dr. Money's Executive Assistant. If you want to get in touch with Dr. Money or if you would like some his time then Mr. Holemans is the man you want to contact. He and I have been talking these past few days about what I would like to attempt to accomplish in the next year and I already know that he will do whatever he can to help me build contacts and relationships among the administrators at ACU.

Today, Mr. Holemans and I went to visit Dr. John Stevens. Dr. Stevens was the 8th President of ACU. He served the ACU community from 1969-1981 in that capacity, but he is still on campus nearly every day. If you look over to the stage left during chapel, you will see him sitting there in the front row near the scooter he now uses to get around campus. He still goes to the Bean every few days just so he can be around students. Some times when people lean over to me in Chapel and ask "Who is that guy?", I get excited because I get to tell them about a man who has given so much of his life to make ACU what it is today. Dr. Stevens was the author of a book about the history of ACU called "No Ordinary University" which I would recommend to anyone interested in the events that have transpired to bring ACU to its centennial year. He is one of the quiet giants among us, and it was an honor to meet him today.

1 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin-

Have you ever sang the navy's official theme song "Anchor's Away" in the shower? If not, you need to try it.

Cole Griff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home