Wednesday, April 27, 2005

It's You When I Look in the Mirror, It's You When I Don't Pick Up the Phone

I imagine that heaven will be something like sitting in Abuelo's eating all the fajitas you want. It will be something like that I am sure. It was so great to be able relax last night and enjoy dinner with all the guys who played in the game and to remember that we were able to participate in something incredible. Something that extends beyond softball, world records that will be broken by someone else one day, and also simply raising money.

When I began to think about it, we were able to transcend excuses and stereotypes. How often does that happen? When people think of college students, they think of people who have no money, and when they do ask for money, it always goes to "laundry" or paying rent. It never seems to go towards anything that has eternal consequences. Through the act of raising money for Habitat, we were able to give a family something that we consider one of the basic needs of the human race, shelter. Now, a family will not have to worry about living somewhere that is either too small or is too dilapidated. The amazing thing is that a group of college guys was able to participate in that in some small way. It floors me.

Current Listening: "The Colour and The Shape" by Foo Fighters.

Jeff and I were talking yesterday as we rode to Abuelo's about how amazing these past few months have been. They have not been devoid of challenge or hardship, and I think that they have been so memorable because of those things. There are so many people that I have become close to this semester that it amazes me that I have not known them since high school. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning, that is what reminds me God is real. I see how people love, I see how people reach out above and beyond their personal means and comfort levels, and I know that something more than physiology is driving them. When I was younger, people would always ask me how I saw God the best. I heard others talk about nature, prayer, or music, but I always said the people around me.

At times it seems incredibly hard to believe that I see God in all of the fallability of mankind, but perhaps that is why I see it in people the most. When people realize that they are not perfect, but choose to live and love in spite of that, I see God. When people stand up in the face of hatred, injustice, or even just apathy, I see God.

1 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very strong words. I used to be like this before now I am trying to get back , it s a hard long way back to the truth..
Hope to see you there :)
And in my heaven there is nothing more than silence and light.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home