Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Making Islands Where No Islands Should Go

I am sure that I probably do not need to apologize for not posting anything in over a week, since this site probably does not sustain anyone's livelihood, but I realize that I sometimes become frustrated when people whose blogs I enjoy reading do not post in a while, so I guess that serves as a long non-apology/apology.

Current Listening: "Welcoming Home the Astronauts" by Flickerstick.

Moving on, it was really good to go home this past weekend. Because the past semester was so busy, I had not been able to go home since January. There is always something very comforting about driving through Dallas and entering into East Texas. Each time that I return it seems that the trees have grown another ten feet. Whenever I am ready to get back on the road each time, it becomes a little bit easier to leave home and head back to Abilene. As the relationships I have formed in Abilene grow stronger, I feel safer there. Don't get me wrong, it is not as if I felt incredibly uncomfortable in Abilene at any time, but I still remember looking out of the bathroom window on Mabee 2nd North as my parents drove away on the day they dropped me off before Welcome Week and wondering how all of this was going to work out.

3/4ths of the way through all I can say about college is that it has been beyond my wildest expectations. The friendships, learning experiences, and hard lessons have not been anything that I expected, but even better than that, it has been what I have needed. It is so difficult to look back and imagine what my life would have been like if I had pledged Gamma Sigs, or if I had never worked at Trek, or become involved in S.A. I guess sitting and wondering about what might have been could be seen as futile, but the value that I find is in knowing that where I am is a path of discovery that I am incredibly thankful for each day.

P.S. I have no idea who this "anonymous" poster is who keeps leaving comments, but in order to make the game a little more fun, how about leaving some type of clues so I can figure out who you are. Deal??

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clues huh? What's the fun in finding out who I am? Well, I don't go to ACU, but I do have close ties there.

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back J Scott...i missed your thoughts

the song lyrics today are from transatlanticism by death cab...great song

be blessed man

c blair

 

Post a Comment

<< Home