Thursday, January 6, 2005

I Knew the Pathway Like the Back of My Hand

Well, a great debt of gratitude goes out to Sarah K. (Katherine?) Carlson for continuing the lost art of the song of the day contest. I realize that not many of you were probably going to get the Rage Against the Machine reference in the title a few days ago, but I know my audience. Use Dave Matthews Band and the results are guaranteed. Everyone is probably wondering what the great prize is going to be, and oh man, do we have a good one today. Sarah, who was the previous winner of my Pinewood Derby car, wins my old Cub Scout uniform shirt. Some, my Mom and sister, may fight this one tooth and nail, and I guess that is my intention. I am not above creating a little bit of controversy.

This past semester after I came to the decision to not attend law school after graduating from ACU, I began to look at all of the options that are out there. One of the best things about being young is having this huge slate that is just waiting for you to write your story on. Sometimes that seems daunting because you feel this weight of expectation from no one but yourself. You begin to realize that with one life to live you need to make your life extraordinary. Perhaps this will not mean nailing your 95 Theses to the church door or crafting the theory of relativity, but each one of has this incredible gift hidden inside each of us, the proverbial "divine spark."

In the past, I think I have been afraid of what this calling has been simply because it does not always mean security in this world. Security, the great, ephemeral sham preached by adults, is vastly overrated. I would rather live a life of constant scrambling and striving if it meant that I was doing something I loved rather than a staid, comfortable life spent in worker-ant servitude. The world is filled with people who hate what they spend their lives doing, and the people who would dare follow their dreams are few and far between.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

T.E. Lawrence-"Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

1 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Katherine is correct.

I like the quote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home