Thursday, November 11, 2004

I Set the Sun On a Big Wheeled Wagon

It is never a good thing to fall asleep with your window partially open if a cold front is coming in overnight. With that lesson learned, I will move on.

Today, the Jack Pope Fellows and the Students' Association are hosting an ACU Veteran's Day Reception. It is amazing to think that people like Brian Lord, Lindsey Kelly, Blake McGee, Stephen Welch and others that I know have already passed through the crucible of war and come out on the other side. When I think of veterans I usually imagine older men speaking of their days at Normandy or Guadalcanal. One might also conjure up images of men on Harley-Davidsons speaking of the horrors of Southeast Asian jungles. It is still difficult for me to think that people my own age fall into the same category. We are thankful for their service each day, but today especially. Thanks to my grandfathers: Leo Andree (Pilot in the Pacific Theater, WWII) and Fred Scott (Ambulance Driver in the European Theater, WWII). America does not enjoy the prospect of war, but in times of great need, men and women always rise up to defend our nation and others around the world. Today we say thank you.

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I printed a copy of this entry for Grandma and took it with us today when we went to the farm. She really liked it and seems very excited that you are developing your writing skills. You know she is a literary junkie and loves to see that passed down through the generations. Let's hope that your children enjoy reading and writing as much as you do! Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home