Monday, November 8, 2004

I Rest My Head on a Pillowy Star and a Cracked Door Moon that Says I Haven't Gone too Far

Tonight in Film Appreciation we watched a film by Vietnamese-American Tony Bui called Three Seasons. A very touching movie about redemption seen through the lives of characters in 4 storylines. I recommend it for anyone who does not mind subtitles.

I began reading Catch-22 by Joseph Heller yesterday. Long hailed as one of the great American novels of the 20th century, I am finding it to be quite unlike anything else I have ever read. I guess I should expect something like that from a book that received a review calling it an "apocalyptic masterpiece."

In one of the chapters I just read, the officers are upset that meetings are becoming forums for unwanted questions. They decide to restrict the meetings to those who will not ask questions. The meetings prove to be a complete waste of time, because "it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything." If we go into our daily lives and do not investigate and question the world around us, what makes each day special? When we cease to learn, we cease to live as God intended. He gave us intellect for a reason, and I do not think he meant it to simply go to waste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home