Friday, October 23, 2009

Because We Separate Like Ripples on a Blank Shore

Congratulations to Mr. John Middleton for correctly naming "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits as the Thursday Song of the Day.

As I was typing the name "Dire Straits", I wasn't sure if it was just "Dire Straits" or "THE Dire Straits." This is the problem that has been created by one person, The Edge (a.k.a. David Evans) of U2.
Bill Simmons has worked through the comedy of this situation many, many times, so I don't want to kick, shoot, and beat a dead comedic horse here, but let's just say that last week when I was at the U2 show, and someone walked up and said, "Here's some backstage passes; you can meet the band." When I walked backstage, what should I say to them?

"Hello Bono, hello Adam, hello Larry, hello...THE...Edge."

"No, it's just Edge. No "the" in front of Edge."

"Oh, sorry. I thought you were the only Edge, not one Edge among many. You should really think about cornering that market on edges. People are going to start confusing you with that Anthony Hopkins/Alec Baldwin movie from 1997."
"Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks."

Current Reading
King of the Club: Richard Grasso and the Survival of the New York Stock Exchange by Charles Gasparino

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home