Sunday, July 13, 2008

I Looked Like Someone I Used to Know

Since I lived less than a mile away from the Veterans Affairs hospital named in his honor for six weeks this summer, I would be doing myself, and the rest of this blog, a disservice if I did not pass along the NY Times story on the amazing life of Dr. Michael E. DeBakey.

Without a doubt, my favorite portion of Dr. DeBakey's obituary was this paragraph:

Even in his 90s, Dr. DeBakey arose at 5 a.m. every day, wrote in his study for two hours and then drove, often in a sports car, to the hospital, where he stayed until 6 p.m. After dinner, he usually returned to his library for more reading or writing before retiring after midnight.

I'm not sure if that is exactly what Mr. Keating was attempting to convey in Dead Poets Society when he exhorted his students to "suck the marrow" out of life, but I think it's pretty darn close.

Current Reading

Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero by Leigh Montville

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home