Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Heaven Waits for Those Who Run

Some of the most contentious debates in the history of Running Down a Dream have concerned the merits of various Tex-Mex establishments in the state of Texas.

In that vein, I'm adding another restaurant to that immortal list. I had the distinct privilege of dining at Laurenzo's El Tiempo Cantina on Washington Avenue today for lunch, and let me tell you, the brisket burrito rivalled anything that I have had at Chuy's, Uncle Julio's, and various other Tex-Mex havens.

So, I'm calling on Running Down a Dream readers who have an extensive knowledge of H-town's culinary treasures.

Where else should I go during my stay in this fair city?

For what it's worth, I've already been told that I must, repeat must, make a stop at Lupe Tortilla before I leave near the end of June.

Suggest away, my friends.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Pope said...

Lupe is the place. The original Mama Ninfa's is good too.

There's a Lupe right by my house. one weekend that I'm back in ”The Wood“ you should come up and hang, watch a movie in the theater.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

It isn't real mexican food unless it is purchased from a traveling, vehicular kitchen. If you have to order in spanish and your co-workers often refer to it as a roach-coach, you know you have arrived in the world or mere mortals.
I will never look at burrito wagons the same.

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

If the devil built a parking lot on his chode, it would be nicer than Houston.

 
At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree fully that you should visit Lupe Tortilla... also, Chacho's on Westheimer is fabulous. It's kind of like a Rosa's, but way better.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger lance said...

I was pleasantly surprised by the chicken burrito at Berry Hill the other night.

Glad to see that your opinion of Houston has gone from "God's only mistake" to "A fair city" after two days here. I have a feeling that it may take a bit longer to change Carlson's mind, however.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

I have great affection for my home state of Texas, and I like to think I'm usually an open-minded guy. But on the matter of Houston's low worth, my opinion is locked up tighter than a Pi Kappa's virginity.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Scott,

If you go to Lupe Tortilla, you must get the chicken chalupas or fajitas. They are dynamite.

Give me a call while you are in Houston. I'm staying near I-10 @ Wilcrest with family friends.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Cody Blair said...

Drive north on 45 till you hit the Big D and then hang a left on 30 till you get to Cowtown. Just north of downtown off Main Street you'll find the real deal...Joe T Garcia's. Best ever, hands down. C'mon, get in the car and I'll meet you there...

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Joe T's was the victor of the GSP TexMex challenge of 2004. I have fond memories of that trip.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Richtoria's Secret said...

BW3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home