Friday, September 1, 2006

They Sit at the Bar and Put Bread In My Jar and Say, "Man, What Are You Doing Here?"

Well, as Chris said in a comment on yesterday's post: "Two weeks down, three years to go." It is a common cliche, but life really is a marathon and not a sprint.

As if I had not already drawn too much of my humor and reading material from the man, today the Sports Guy gave out his list of recommendations from the summer of 2006.

Last weekend I took the maiden haircut voyage into the city of Waco. On recommendation from my uncle and cousins, I headed for Jim's Lake Air Barber Shop. When I walked in I immediately knew that this was the kind of place where you might get shot if you called it a "salon". I'm the only guy in the place under 55, and I settle in to read a Rolling Stone while I wait for the next available chair. I'm pretty sure that no one in this barber shop agrees with the majority of the opinions expressed in Rolling Stone, but it is part of the duty of maintaining a barber shop that you supply your customers with a wide variety of magazines to choose from as they wait but I digress.

As I head for my chair, the barbers begin to talk about the previous evening's Steelers-Eagles game and inquire about who won. My barber says that he did not watch the football game because he was watching Hard to Kill with Steven Seagal. This comment was made about five times because he pronounced Seagal as Sea-gal instead of Sea-gall. Perhaps this phonetic explanation does not make sense, but you have to trust me on this one. Also, remember that this comment came from a 75 year old barber in Waco.

This comment leads to my barber wondering who would win in a movie fight between Seagal and Jackie Chan. I withheld comment. The general consensus in the barber shop was Seagal, but he could not stand unchallenged for so long so the shop sought a challenger for Steven. Who did they come up with? "That Walker Texas Ranger guy!"

As they sat there and searched for his name, I kept my mouth shut. I'll just let them work this out on their own. That way they'll be pleased with themselves and I can stay out of the conversation but the name remained elusive.

Finally, I could not take it any longer and stated,"Chuck Norris....his name....is Chuck Norris." My barber:"Oh yeah, Chuck Norris! That guy is a tough son of a gun."
(To myself): "Yes, so tough that he does infomercials."

Needless to say, I'll be heading back to Jim's Lake Air Barber Shop for all of my future hair care needs.

3 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great story. I am wondering if I should ask my Chinese friends this: Jackie Chan or Jet Li.
While you are expanding your mind and dabbling in law, I am forgetting my english progressively every day. Hopefully at the end of 10 months I will know no English and very little Chinese.
ICB
patrick

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

Piano Man - B. Joel

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Henley's out of the blogosphere! NOOOOOOOO

JRH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home