Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Drivin' Slow on Sunday Morning, I Never Want to Leave

Some of you know that my favorite sports writer is Bill Simmons of ESPN.com's Page 2. I usually call Bill by his nome de guerre "The Sports Guy" and that is how he will hereafter be referred to in this post. The Sports Guy is a huge fan of his hometown Boston teams, and many of his columns chronicle the ups and downs of being a fan of the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics. Notice I did not mention the Bruins because I am not really sure that anyone in America cares about hockey anymore. Well, maybe Danny Echols, but that guy is just cut from a different piece of cloth.

Anyways, the Sports Guy is also a pop culture guru. I was pleased to see that very quickly after the OC pilot in the summer of 2003, he posted a bit of a review. He has always been a faithful follower of the show, but he has outdone himself now. A few times every month he will answer e-mails that are sent to him by readers. These are some of the most bizarre emails I have ever seen, and let me say, there are some people in America that are definitely not in the right career fields. His latest mailbag contains his response to one of those titanic questions for some people in America: 90210 vs. The OC: who comes out on top? Well, for those of you Jonesing for the Sports Guy's response, I have the link right here.

Shifting gears, the Devo on College St. has been one of the best things that I have been a part of in college. It is always a time of focused worship and authentic community that is one of the parts of my week that I always anticipate. Jeff Giddens, Patrick Vincent, David Chisholm and I were talking last night about the direction, and we are going to try to focus our thoughts by following along, to a certain extent, with books that have powerfully impacted our spiritual walk. We are going to start tomorrow night with Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Cost of Discipleship." I am supposed to speak about Bonhoeffer's life story and his idea of costly grace. How do you do that in 15-20 minutes? Bonhoeffer's life was one of the reasons that Christianity seems real to some people. He actually lived out all of the stuff that he read and the ideas that he talked about. How many of us do that? I know that all too often I speak in these lofty terms of sacrifice, self-denial, and Lordship, but when it actually comes to putting those into practice, I always seem to get in the way. Perhaps this fresh reading of Bonhoeffer's words will kindle something in me. Everyone feel free to come tomorrow night, and if you do not know where it is going to be just give me a call.

1 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"such grace is costly because it causes us to follow, and it is grace because it calls us to follow Jesus Christ. It is costly because it costs a man his life, and it is grace because it gives a man the only true life."

some of the sweetest words i've ever heard, but like you said, some of the hardest to swallow--am i really taking hold of this true life everyday?

i love when D.B. talks about the joy of discipleship--that's what it is and that's what it brings. but like you said, why do i have to get in the way?

devo--that is probably what i miss the most about college. i'll be lifting you up as you speak tomorrow night bud. take hope, share it, and be blessed.

c blair

 

Post a Comment

<< Home