Thursday, February 17, 2005

Ask They Took His Soul, They Stole His Pride

I guess some things are not meant to be. Yesterday, I attempted to dye my hair not once, but twice, and both times the mission failed. Before all of the pundits of the perm begin to comment on the next course of action that I should pursue, I simply tell you that we did everything right for the dye that we were working with, and I may just have to face the fact that I have elitist hair that adamantly refuses to change from its beautiful auburn hue to the dark tones of one Danny Zuko.

This is the first morning that I have rolled out of bed, and I feel like a 21 year old again. The quads are free of pain, and I have remembered how to walk normally again. For a few days, I was doing this bizarre stiff-legged shuffle that eschewed bending of the knees because that put too much stress on my upper leg. It is also fun to be able to walk down stairs without fearing the jolt of pain that each one puts through my body. I have a healthy dose of sympathy for people who suffer from vascular diseases that affect your legs or those that are afflicted with arthritis.

Current Listening: "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" by Oasis.

I actually just bought it the other day, and yes, I am ashamed of myself. We listened to it twice during the trip down to Austin last weekend, and I was captivated again by the unadulterated power and passion of the music that Oasis makes. Adam came into my room the other day as I was listening to "Morning Glory" and I made the bold proclamation that it was one of the best albums of the 90's. He and I had a short discussion and here is the list that we came up with of the 5 Most Influential Albums of the 90's.

(In no order)
  • (What's the Story) Morning Glory?- Oasis
  • Nevermind- Nirvana
  • Ten-Pearl Jam
  • Get a Grip- Aerosmith
  • Weezer- Weezer

I realize that there may be some distinct disagreements with these choices, but I thought in terms of overall musical influence, these albums shaped what is happening today for better or worse. Feel free to disagree, agree, or call me completely crazy.

7 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just left my first comment on the Scotty J blogspot...my life is fulfilled. -Cole Griff

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you would probably have to add some kind of hip hop on this list. I would love to say Tupac or Biggie or something, but I think Puff Daddy is more in line with what's happening right now than anyone else, e.g, flashy poppy, mtv friendly rap.

Truth.

Joey

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Joey,

I completely agree with you about the need for some kind of hip/hop or rap represenation, and also with the suggestion of some like Puff Daddy as the de facto "banner carrier" of that genre in the 90's, despite the negative connotations that might raise in some people's minds. Folks, he's huge for some reason, and some segement of the world's population makes him rich for one reason or another. With that said, I'm adding Puff Daddy's album "No Way Out" and taking off "Get a Grip" by Aerosmith.

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you replaced Aerosmith with Puff Daddy. All Puff Daddy does is remake other peoples' songs, change his name, and kiss Shaquille O'Neal's butt. How about you switch Puff Daddy, a.k.a. P-Diddy, Diddy, Sean Jean, J-Lo's ex-play toy, Puffy Combs, for the one and only Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony. "I'll see you at the crossroads." -Cole Griff

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Cole,

You're right, there's only one Bone Thugs. I would place them as a spiritual predecessor to maybe the roots or jurassic five or blackalicious in that they make music that matters.

P Diddy = Lil Jon, Luda, anything with fast shaking big butts and rims. We all know who gets on the radio.

JOseph

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

justin -

get "no way out" the heck out of here and put the "ill be missing you" single in the "most influential singles of the 90s list. replace "no way out" with "the chronic" by dr. dre. forget the flashy, stylish mtv rap of today, that will fade. "the chronic" started a trend that will never fade: it made rappers start killing each other.


giddens

 
At 2:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

justin -

get "no way out" the heck out of here and put the "ill be missing you" single in the "most influential singles of the 90s list. replace "no way out" with "the chronic" by dr. dre. forget the flashy, stylish mtv rap of today, that will fade. "the chronic" started a trend that will never fade: it made rappers start killing each other.


giddens

 

Post a Comment

<< Home