Sunday, November 21, 2004

I Can't Believe That We Would Lie In Our Graves/ Dreaming Up Things That We Might Have Been

Since we are close to Thanksgiving I will begin to tell you about things I am thankful for.

I am always thankful for lazy Saturdays. In college, it seems that there are exciting things to do each weekend like going on retreats, going to concerts, or other trips, but sometimes it is good to simply slow down and spend some time in Abilene. I am thankful for days when Adam and I sit around and watch college football, Sarah and I go to the Grace Museum, and days when I just sit with people like David Chisholm and Courtney Varner and just laugh. Maybe I have just read too much Hemingway, but on days like that I feel like a character out of "The Sun Also Rises." Life is one big game to play, and I am just glad to meet the other participants.

Today is Thanksgiving Offering/Gift Sunday at Highland, which is always a blessing. The church begins collecting food during the weeks prior to the service, and today they bring the donations to church. During the service, they bring the gifts up to the front of the auditorium. My favorite part is watching the little kids carry the bags with their parents. It always encourages me to see parents involving their kids in an act of service like this because with their actions they are telling their children,"This is important."

2 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes me happy that you are paying attention to the things involved in being a good parent. You don't learn it over night the day you bring your first child home from the hospital. Good parenting begins much earlier with the attitudes you've developed about how you want to live life and what were the important lessons you learned as a child. Keep observing and making plans about the type of parent you want to be and start praying now that God will bless your plans! Mom

 
At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is not my Adapo Gango...
I wish I would've been a dancing Nancie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home