Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This Time Will Be Different Until I Do It Again

Congratulations to Mr. Joseph Halbert (who's getting married this weekend, folks) for correctly naming "Wishlist" by Pearl Jam as the Tuesday Song of the Day.

Part VIII (My Response)

The virtue of extremism...it's such a dirty word these days, isn't it?

Whenever we want to denigrate someone or something, we label it "extreme" or call them "an extremist." I do think you're right, though. There are some things about which we should be extreme. Like you wrote, it seems that the only way to be a true follower of a religion is to be an "extreme follower" of that religion. Much of what Jesus calls us to, especially in the Sermon on the Mount, is incredibly extreme. When I go back and read Matthew 5-7, I always notice how some portions make me very uncomfortable, and I know that's a good thing.

I think the real question of the virtue of extremism is what it causes us to do in our interactions with others. We may be extremely devoted to our cause, and in that devotion we lose sight of the values of others (i.e. the jihad that radical Islamic figures have declared on "the West" wherein their extreme devotion to their interpretation of the Koran has caused them to do great harm to those with whom they disagree) or we may be extremely devoted to our cause, and in that devotion we are attuned to the values of others (i.e. Jesus' call to love our enemies, to look for those in need, and to love without concern for reciprocity). I don't mean this to fall into the typical Islam v. Christianity divide, but the topics of extremism and religion are intertwined in my brain.

Your thoughts?

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Preston said...

I think that if extremism is bad in any circumstance it has to be bad in all circumstances. I say that only because 'good' and 'bad' are so subjective. We see Islamic extremism as bad, and they see our extremism as bad. It's all in your perspective. And because of that, any extremism puts a wall between people and doesn't allow them to communicate.

And what if you are (with good intention) extreme about the wrong thing. Paul was extreme in his persecution of Christians before his conversion.

"...The man who fears God will avoid all extremes." Ecclesiastes 7:18

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

I've got to mostly disagree with Preston.

If I look at what Jesus said and did, and I attempt to live out what he said, I don't know how I could do anything except what appears "extreme". If people don't like it, I'm not sure that there is anything I can do about it. Jesus is so contrary to the world that confusion is bound to happen. Jesus even said he was divisive.

I would reframe the argument and answer that "extreme" is just as subjective as "good" and "bad". Following Jesus' teachings isn't necessarily "extreme" if it's what you routinely do. Jesus' followers got killed, and Jesus was saying stuff so wild that he also got killed. To the world it was extreme, but to them maybe it was just the thing to do.

I also disagree that "extremism" necessarily puts up a wall. Jesus talked to everybody all the time. I do understand that being a blowhard is a bad idea. I would just say that (1) generally, don't be a blowhard, but (2) sometimes you look like a blowhard even if you are doing the good thing. Sometimes you get crucified upside down because you won't be reasonable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home