Thursday, June 18, 2009

You Just Want to Be On the Side That's Winning

If you've seen any sports coverage since Monday, you've surely become acquainted (or re-acquainted) with the name of Giuseppe Rossi, the American-Italian striker who was born in Teaneck, New Jersey, yet plays for the Italian Men's National Team based on his dual citizenship.
Rossi tormented his birth nation on Monday with two goals, including a fabulous strike from 25-30 yards out that arced past a helpless Tim Howard into the upper left corner of the American goal.

In the aftermath of the match, there has been the usual banter about whether we should allow athletes born in America to play for other nations, even if those athletes do possess dual citizenship based on the nationalization status of their parents at the time of their birth. I don't fault Rossi for choosing to play with one of the better national teams in the world (even though they lost today to Egypt 1-0), especially since former U.S. National Team manager Bruce Arena went on record as saying that "he wasn't going to chase around some teenager" regarding Rossi's decision to play for his parents' homeland.

I say all that to say this: I may not fault Rossi for his decision, but there are others out there among the American soccer fanbase who feel a wee bit different. The shirt you see below is what happens when rabid soccer fandom meets creative graphic design.

Giuseppe, don't take the "Judas" tag too hard, though. It was placed on a guy some people used to know as "Robert Zimmerman", and I think he's done okay for himself.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I read something today about the US hosting the 2018 or 2022 world cup. What do you think about that? And why don't you support the 2007 MLS Cup Champion Houston Dynamo?

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger lance said...

Those are cool looking shirts and all, but honestly, what a waste.

How many people would understand what it meant if you were just walking around with a shirt that said Judas on it with some random dudes face? 3? 4?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Jeremy,

I've been following the 2018/2022 talk as well, and if I were a betting man, I would place my money on 2022, just because the 2014 World Cup is going to be Brazil and almost everyone thinks that 2018 is going to England since they haven't hosted the tournament since 1966 (also their only victory).

I don't currently support the Dynamo because I only have so much sports fan capital to spend. I spend that capital in support of the Rangers, the Cowboys, and Liverpool.

Lance,

I agree that the shirt would only reach a niche audience, but so does the Phish shirt that I wear frequently.

In fact, I would wear the "Rossi=Judas" shirt if only so it would produce a situation like that one that occurred outside of Five Guys Hamburgers in Brentwood, TN when I had an impromptu conversation with a fellow Phish fan regarding the June 10th concert in Knoxville. Good times were had by all.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I suppose that's why you don't support the best team in basketball . . . .

I'm nervous. May's domination has turned into June's 50/50. I haven't been to a baseball game where the home team won since before second year. I think I'd better fly out to Anaheim for a little sumpin sumpin to do with Rangers domination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home