Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We Won't Break, We Won't Die, It's Just a Moment of Change

Congratulations to Mr. Joseph R. Halbert for correctly naming "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger as the Tuesday Song of the Day. Congratulations also are in order to Mr. Jeremy Masten for further clarifying that the title of the song is "Flagpole Sitta" not "Flagpole Sitter". That's the kind of attention to detail they pound into your skull full of mush here at BLS.

I'm not sure if I should be pleased that the song has held up so well over the last 11 years or if I should be sad that the first time I ever heard "Flagpole Sitta" was on the first edition of that bane of everyone's musical existence, "Now That's What I Call Music!" Vol. 1.

Just look at the songs on this album:
  1. Janet Jackson--"Together Again"
  2. Backstreet Boys--"As Long as You Love Me"
  3. Fastball--"The Way"
  4. Harvey Danger--"Flagpole Sitta"
  5. Spice Girls--"Say You'll Be There"
  6. K-Ci and JoJo--"All My Life"
  7. All Saints--"Never Ever"
  8. Tonic--"If You Could Only See"
  9. Hanson--"MMMBop"
  10. Cherry Poppin' Daddies--"Zoot Suit Riot"
  11. Imajin featuring Keith Murray--"Shorty"
  12. Brian McKnight--"Anytime"
  13. Aqua--"Barbie Girl"
  14. Radiohead--"Karma Police"
  15. Everclear--"I Will Buy You a New Life"
  16. Lenny Kravitz--"Fly Away"
  17. Marcy Playground--"Sex and Candy"
My Lord. That is a travesty on par with the first O.J. Simpson trial. A few thoughts, though:
  • Do you think Thom Yorke categorically forbids anyone from mentioning in his presence that "Karma Police" was on this album?
  • When "MMMBop" has a fighting chance at being one of the Top 5 songs on an album, any album, that's not a future hit. That's a cry for help.
  • Cherry Poppin' Daddies: One of the most risky band names of our time or the riskiest?
  • Without consulting YouTube, I have no earthly idea who either All Saints, Imajin, or Keith Murray are. Any help from the readership?
Ah, 1998. You were quite the year.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"all we are" by OneRepublic.

I'm really surprised n'sync didn't make the "now" list. Also, I resent what you said about Hanson. They had some hits after that and are still making music. Ask Emma. She's their #1 fan. Seriously.

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will defend what Amanda is saying about Hanson. After a rough surgery recovery, in which Hanson was played frequently to inspire, I attended a Hanson concert. My spirits were restored, I felt that my faith in my body's ability to function was restored. Also I realize I typed Hanson three times in the first two sentences, deal with it.

In my defense for the brothers Hanson I will address three major points. First, all brothers are musically talented. Their harmonies are incredible, especially after puberty. Also they had incredible music playing abilities, bongos to guitars. Second, the three brothers are very active in fighting AIDS. Their "Take the Walk" tour hosted walks in every town and encourages neighborhoods to host more to raise money to fight AIDS. The boys have also participated in Toms shoe drops. And third, all three boys are loving husbands and fathers. They have not let their music get in the way of their families and are a real attribute to society.

Also I give a shout out to the fact that they were homeschooled. I now correctly name the song of the day "Great Divide" by Hanson. Thank you.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That was the first time that I heard Flagpole Sitta too!! I remember walking around singing that song all day long. Someone in my english class actually used it as their "Song with a Metaphor" project. The teacher wasn't so amused.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger lance said...

Well, now I know where the dance mix came from during all of the birthday party dances I attended between 1997 and 98.

Also, the 69 Boyz aren't going down without a fight for riskiest name.

'I put my hand upon yo hip, when I dipyoudipwedip...'

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Lance,

I just thought the 69 Boyz were big Jon Runyan fans:

http://trumpethope19.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/jon-runyan.jpg

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

First, I think Thom Yorke categorically forbids anyone from mentioning the song "Karma Police" in his presence. Every album, his music just gets weirder and weirder and weirder. And not in a cool way, if you ask me. I know you feel differently, but I'm just telling you my thoughts.

Second, I will forgo momentarily my man dignity and remind everyone that I'm married. The Missus loves Hanson, and I've figured out that they are actually pretty talented guys. They use their profits from MMMBop to fund everything they do now.

Third: Riskiest band name of our time = Jesus H. Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse with their class 2006 or so tune, "Connecticut Is For F***ing." I think risque + blasphemy beats everything else out.

Fourth, I'm afraid I can only identify All Saints. I can best describe them with an SAT-style analogy: All Saints : Spice Girls :: 'NSync : Backstreet Boys. Well, at any rate, it was an attempt by somebody to feminize the boyband craze. Not sure why it didn't work except that girls don't buy albums because the chicks are hot. Guys might, but no guy bought the All Saints album.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

PS---I didn't forgo my man dignity by saying I was married. I'm using my marriage to defend my man dignity. Just want to be clear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home