Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Heart Was Broke, My Head Was Sore, What a Feeling

As I was talking with one of my friends recently, the topic of World's Biggest (Current) Band came up, and we both ended up deciding on U2 without much disagreement. Perhaps you disagree with our conclusion, and that's fine, but the real question we had was who are the 5 greatest frontmen/frontwomen (if that's an actual term) in rock history?

I realize the question falls into the trap of constant arbitrary list-making that is the good old internet, but hey, it's the internet, what else are we going to do with it?

Some groundrules:
  • The person may have served a solo artist at some point in their career, but they are known primarily for their work with a band/group.
  • Even though a band/group may have done some landmark work, if you have to think for more than 5 seconds about who is actually the face of the band (i.e. Lennon or McCartney for the Beatles) then you've answered the question already.
  • There's really not any other groundrules. I just felt the need for three bullet points.
Let's get started...in no particular order:

Mick Jagger
Even though the man may look like a dancing corpse these days, he's one of the figures on the Rock and Roll Rushmore for the last half-century. It's hard to imagine the current theatrics of most lead singers without Jagger's manic stage influence.

Bono
The man has elevated the idea of rock star/philanthropist/statesman/spokesman to a new level. Sure, Chris Martin is making a good early run at the archetype, but he has a long, long way to go before he reaches the stratosphere that Paul Hewson currently occupies. Also, even though his voice is not what it was in the early to mid 80's, the man still knows how to captivate mass audiences around the world.

Bruce Springsteen

Here's where I come the closest to violating Groundrule #1. I'm working on the premise that the vast majority of The Boss's (not George Steinbrenner) work has been done with the E Street Band, and thus, Bruce is not operating as a "solo" artist. It seems that the thread running through the first three figures is the ability to stay relevant, in some form or fashion, for a number of years.

I'm not sure if you gain some sort of legitimacy for simply being in the public eye for a certain number of years, but ever since the masterpiece that is Born to Run, Springsteen has captivated audiences far and wide. Also, he manages to play concerts in his home state of New Jersey without the audience constantly booing. They're actually saying, "Bruuuuuuuce."

Jimi Hendrix
Again, I'm working on the assumption that Hendrix did most of his best work with the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Whether it was lighting his guitar on fire at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967 or the unforgettable and maddening version of the National Anthem at Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix has worked his way into the popular musical consciousness of America like few artists before or after him. The landscape of guitar playing would look much different if Johnny Allen Hendrix had never left the 101st Airborne Division.

Thom Yorke
In what will probably be the most controversial (that is, if anyone actually cares) choice of the five, I'm going with Thom Yorke as the final member of the top 5. It seems that Yorke, along with his bandmates in Radiohead, have always been at the vanguard of musical adaptation and evolution in the past 15 years, and the results of last year's decision to sell In Rainbows on the internet sans any type of record deal are still being felt in the music industry and will probably be felt for years in the future. If anything, Yorke is the reluctant figure at the front of one of the world's most recognizable bands, but his influence will probably be truly understand only in the future as a new generation of musicians continues to further change the paradigm.

Honorable Mention:
  • Kurt Cobain
  • Roger Daltrey
  • Robert Plant
  • Jim Morrison
  • Bob Marley
  • Eddie Vedder
  • Axl Rose
  • Don Henley
So, there's my take. Feel free to tell me where you think I went wrong and how you would write the list differently.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Cris said...

Where's Justin on that list? As in Timberlake?

....

I kid, I kid. We all know his music can't be classified as rock...

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Cris,

Pursuant to Groundrule #1, it would have been necessary for me to conclude that Mr. Timberlake is known primarily for his work with 'N SYNC, while also extolling the virtues of his work with 'N SYNC.

There's a better chance that I will somehow start supporting the Yankees before that happens.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

In off the top of my head order:
1) Jim Morrison
2) Jimi Hendrix
3) Kurt Cobain
4) Robert Plant
5) Johnny Cash

My criteria:
1) They have to be BAMFs
2) Women had to be obsessed with them
3) Antics
4) Trouble with the law
5) Charisma

Any of these guys could beat up Thom Yorke, Chris Martin, Bono, etc, so those weak sauces are automatically knocked off the list.

Honorable mention:
Axle Rose
Steven Tyler (thanks for Liv btw)
Liam "I carry the madness" Gallagher
Janis Joplin (I don't know enough about her band so I counted her as solo)
James Hetfeild
Chris Cornell (Soundgarden + Audioslave earns a lifetime achievement award. Have you heard Soundgarden's cover of Come Together? I say he has the best rock voice of all time, even better than Page.)

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Brighter than Sunshine by Aqualung. You should never put this song on a cd for a girl. It's bad luck.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

1st -- I take issue with Jimi. If we're talking 5 greatest rock artists, fine. But if you're talking frontmen, he's not "known primarily for [his] work with a band/group." Sure he did most or all of his work with JHE, but nobody ever says "I love the Jimi Hendrix Experience!" So I take him out.

2d -- Putting Kurt Cobain as an honorable mention is tantamount to saying George Washington was one of our "important" presidents. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Other than that, I'd sub the following:
- Kurt Cobain for Thom Yorke (Kurt had widespread appeal that Thom has never had)
- Jim Morrison for Jimi Hendrix (see above comment about fans of the JHE)
- Joe Strummer of the Clash for B.S. The man started so many cliches of modern rock that, if he had a more unique name, we might name the genre for him. And he never lost his punk credibility. I mean--they played "Rock the Casbah" as the tanks rolled into Iraq in 1991. That's gotta count for something.

So, in no particular order--
(1) Kurt Cobain
(2) Joe Strummer
(3) Jim Morrison
(4) Bono
(5) Mick Jagger.

And Aaron is one of the Oceanic Six.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Jeremy,

Truth be told, I've never been that big of a Cobain, or Nirvana for that matter, fan. That probably accounts for the reason that he is a honorable mention more than anything. Sorry, it's just personal taste.

Also, your comment about Jim Morrison relating to fans of the JHE doesn't make sense to me. You might hear people say they are fans of the Doors, but that occurs much more frequently than people saying they are solely fans of Jim Morrison. Perhaps people say that, but I've never heard it.

And that makes it true.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

Here's my thinking: Jimi Hendrix isn't so much a frontman as he is "the band." I think the same goes for Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews, Ben Folds, and a lot of other people. In my book, if the "frontman's" name is in the name of the band, then it's tough to call them just a "frontman." At least that's my interpretation of Groundrule #1. That's why Jim Morrison is a frontman and Jimi Hendrix isn't--at least in my book.

And how come nobody's mentioned Ozzy Osbourne? The man is 806 years old and still on his last tour, right?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Justin said...

I thought about 'ol Ozzy, but then I realized I could not name another Black Sabbath song besides "Crazy Train".

Then, the dream died, my friends.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Jeremy Masten is awesome.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Four words. Marky Mark.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home