Sunday, January 6, 2008

Remind Me That We'll Always Have Each Other When Everything Else is Gone

Along with Tailspin, watching the Cubs on WGN, and drinking unhealthy amounts of Kool-Aid, one of the hallmarks of my childhood summers was watching constant re-runs of American Gladiators.

This practice culminated one day in a fit of creation by assorted children from our street. Utilizing every cell in our pre-pubescent minds, we fashioned a scale replica of the game "Assault" where the "gladiator" (read: 95-lb. child) used a Nerf gun to shoot arrows at the competitor while the competitor tried to knock a cereal box off the mantle with a tennis ball. If you can't picture what we were attempting to replicate, just follow the link provided above.

As you can easily imagine, this led to the rampant destruction of property in the Scott household, and my being forced outside to wreak havoc on the rest of 75791 zip code.

With that said, I have mixed feelings about the return of American Gladiators. I loved the Larry Csonka/Mike Adamle announcing duo (especially the classy American Gladiators navy blazers), but the chance to read the insightful commentary of Hulk Hogan in closed-captions might just be the comedic gift that keeps on giving.

Feel free to share your fond American Gladiators-related memories in the comment section.



Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off-topic, yet important: Your hometown is full of crazy individuals.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,320545,00.html

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Austin said...

Me and my brother and friends had a similar "Assault" experience. In our childhood basement we had a full 5 station course.

The gladiator would use the pump-action 6 arrow gun. The challenger would wear knee pads, a chest protector (from my brother's catchers gear) and goggles (usually used by my dad working in the yard).

The entire course was in probably a 15'x25' area, but it seemed huge at the time.

AG was a staple of my summer during childhood as well. I remember back to back episodes on USA preceded by Wings I believe. There were plenty of bad outfits worn by the gladiators and plenty of commercials for the beach patrol drama "Pacific Blue" and the seemingly racy "Silk Stalkings."

Those were great times. Watching the new AG tonight I was really disappointed. I didn't expect to love it, but I think this is not a show for the new millennium. I probably won't watch it any more, the gladiators are too cliche and the challengers seem like they're reading from cue cards.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

1) Speaking of Tyler, one Jim Gibbs is getting married there in summer of 08. That's some crazy for you.

2) How funny was that lady Koya in the Elminator? I think she spent 2 minutes hanging off the treadmill.

3) Wolf?!? YES. God bless America.

4) Crush? What an appropriate name.

I'll be tuned in tomorrow night at 7. Expect a phone call.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home