Thursday, September 20, 2007

This Land is Mine, This Land is Free, I'll Do What I Want but Irresponsibly

Congratulations to my Dad for correctly naming "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" by Crosby, Stills & Nash (but no Young) as the Wednesday Song of the Day.

A little over a week ago I ran across this article in the NY Times. It tells the story of a number of teenage boys who have been banished from towns controlled by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS for short) in southern Utah and northern Arizona and sought refuge, and a new start, in surrounding communities.

Note: The FLDS is not synonymous with the mainline LDS church which is based in nearby Salt Lake City, Utah.

I found the article particularly interesting at this moment because of the ongoing trial of FLDS leader Warren S. Jeffs and Jon Krakauer's insightful book Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith which I read two years ago. I realize that Into Thin Air was the book that catapulted Krakauer into the public spotlight, but in my opinion, the depth of his research and reporting makes Under the Banner of Heaven the finest writing he has done to date.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is completely unrelated to the FLDS and a bit more...juvenile than the subject matter of your post but go to the link below for a completely different side to the LDS missionaries that come to your door.
www.mormonsexposed.com
Disturbing...
Ben Grant

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Dear Ben,

I'm pretty sure that it's going to take a while for me to forgive you for promoting that website. Your commenting privileges may be revoked. I'm kidding, but seriously, that was a bit too much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home