Saturday, March 20, 2010

Remember the Promise as a Kid You Made

Part XI (Luke's Response)

Back to the isolation/community issue. I think we agree that a balance between the two is best. But I want to think longer on the subject. Especially in a post-J.D. Salinger world (as we've briefly discussed), I find the idea of hermits (hermititude?) fascinating. Although we know little of Salinger, do you imagine he achieved a balance? Or do you imagine he went off the isolation deep end?

Generally I'd claim that man exists on a level that is "natural" to him until there is impetus for change. That is to say, every man is at every moment in balance. When he encounters something causing dissonance with his held beliefs/values, he acts in accordance with what's required for him to retain balance. For example- Owen has value system ZYX. At some point in his life, he encounters W. Now it's decision time. W doesn't fit into his value system of ZYX. So he either must adopt W or disregard it. After that his balance is again achieved.

I say Salinger did in fact achieve balance, not according to you or me or this mysterious "Owen", but according to Salinger. I think his isolation/community ratio was something like 90/10, where a normal social human might be closer to 50/50, or probably more accurately 10/90.

I also think specifically one's isolation/community ratio varies with age/maturity/season-in-life, etc. We've both admitted to a felt propensity toward introversion as we age, so our I/C ratio is different now than, for example, freshmen year.

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini. That's the first time in my whole life I've ever typed that. Thank you for sharing that moment with me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home