Thursday, September 2, 2010

Reality Has Always Had Too Many Heads

Congratulations to Mr. Cole Griffith (who for unknown reasons decided to pose as my wife) for correctly naming "Atlantic City" by Bruce Springsteen as the Wednesday Song of the Day.


I thought about writing an introductory sentence that provided some sort of rational justification for what's about to follow, but I'm just going to give it to you straight, my friends and readers.

Here, in no particular order, are my 5 Favorite (Living) Canadians:
  1. Morley Safer: I've really started to love 60 Minutes, and I don't think there's anyone on the show whose segments I enjoy more than ol' Morley's. Andy Rooney, if you read this I'm sorry, but that's the way I feel.
  2. Malcolm Gladwell: The highest compliment that you can pay a writer is that they make you see the world in a new way, and there's probably not anyone who does that better right now than Gladwell.
  3. Alex Trebek-I got chastised by the wife for this one, but I've always loved Jeopardy!, and no one epitomizes Jeopardy! like Trebek. Plus, he used to have an excellent mustache. Always a strong selling point in my book.
  4. Neil Young-I almost chose the Crash Test Dummies to take Young's spot on the Canadian rocker list but thought better of it. My favorite Neil Young moment is probably his performance of "Helpless" with The Band during the Last Waltz concert.
  5. Steve Nash-With all apologies to The Great One, I have to choose Nash as my favorite Canadian. Does this have more to do with the fact that Nash is a massive soccer fan than his NBA bona fides? Probably yes, but don't hold that against me.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:59 PM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

Justin you are mistaken. There is one that epitomizes Jeopardy more than Trebek - Art Fleming! Trebeck can not even shine his shoes. You youngsters with no sense of history! :)

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

A Canadian who plays basketball and loves soccer, eh? What about hockey, eh? Where are his Canadian bona fides, eh?

And Neil Young's greatest moment is either (a) when he inspired one of the most recognizable Southern rock songs of all time (so recognizable that many people don't know the connection) or (b) when he rode through the desert on a horse with no name.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Im proud of you for dragging Steve Nash into the limelight for something other than throwing sick dimes to Amare or the chronic back problems that arise from years of carrying an underachieving franchise on his shoulders. He is my favorite Canadian as well, narrowly edging out Kate from Lost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home