Sunday, October 7, 2007

It's Always Best When the Light is Off

I was there when it all began.

The world? No, not that far back.

Instead, I was there when the Halo series began to consume the free time of males, and apparently some females, all around the world. I had the marvelous (italics inserted for sarcasm) good luck of living in a freshman dorm the year that Halo 1 appeared on the screen and rooming near folks who must have sent Microsoft stock soaring due to the number of XBoxes that they collectively purchased.

I still remember drifting off to sleep in Mabee Room 206 with the sounds of agony, mayhem, and destruction as my lullaby. You must understand that I've never been a big fan of video games, and apparently that would not make me a very relational youth minister in today's environment. That's right kiddos. Come to church to learn about the Prince of Peace and afterwards learn how to utterly dominate the fool that would choose to face you in the Halo arena.

Shifting gears, I went to my first Baylor football game last night. I know, it's my second year and that was my first game. Unfortunately the Bears lost to the mighty Colorado Buffaloes by the score of 43-23, and it was not even that close. Quarterback Blake Szymanski (pictured above on the right if you had to ask) did pass for over 400 yards, but it was the type of 400-yard performance that a Texas Tech quarterback would produce. (To quote Bill Shakespeare: "Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.")

Now you might be able to understand why that was my first game.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow, harryhood. Praise creatures here below, Polynikes, Inanimate, Webbly, Taylor27. Praise Him above you heavenly hosts, of the initial ACU lan games before that advent of XBoxLive. Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

(I still remember having conversations in the bean that amounted to this: Oh you are [insert halo screen name]!? You did really well last night. What's your real name?)

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

All I have to say is ficus tree and stairwell.

Halo names are like ACU e-mail addresses. The sometimes random sequence of letters and numbers stick with you far longer than is necessary. I've sometimes had more trouble remembering someone's actual name from Mabee 2nd North than their Halo name.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Patty,

You weren't supposed to let my loyal readers know that I actually ever played the game. That absolutely kills whatever ironic distance I had temporarily manufactured with this post. Thanks for nothing.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

Your lullaby was my alarm clock. A nocturnal Christopher Carter, of Coppell, TX would wait until the sun was nearing the dawn horizon to fire up the ol' Xbox in Maybee 348. Sometimes I still wake in a cold sweat, nightmareing of the AM mayhem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home